ALWAYS plan your week and write your list!
Cook BIG on a Sunday
- A roast for loads of leftover protein
- A MEAL that will yield multiple lunches. Examples include winter casseroles / soups / chilli dishes with mince / rissoles and patties / large salads etc.
Never throw food away – the bottom of the crisper vegetables can be used in the following ways:
- Large frittatas
- Mince dishes (with tins of tomatoes and legumes)
- Diced up in the food processor and made into patties with a protein
- Simply roasted up on an oven tray with olive oil and seasoning and tossed into a salad
Smoothies: make good snacks / after exercise meals and even breakfasts. Smoothie bags can be made ahead of time and frozen ready to throw in a blender
Involve family including KIDS
Get good at a handful of recipes and rotate them. Great sources for recipes – Teresa Cutter (GF and DF options) / Paleo Leap / Easy Peasy Eats / Jamie Oliver
Cook FREEZER friendly options – many recipes can be frozen either RAW or COOKED and make great weekday meals
Consider alternatives to the supermarket: local markets / ALDI / West End – Mega Continental and Micks Nuts
Find healthier ALTERNATIVES
Educate yourself: Books –Death by Food Pyramid; Movies: What’s With Wheat? / That Sugar Film
This article was written by Katie King, The Balanced Nutritionist – our nutritionist in residence.