- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon for frying
- 500g beef mince
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 beef or chicken stock cube
- 3 carrots grated
- 2 stalks of celery finely chopped
- For topping –
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 50g butter
- A splash of cream OR full fat milk
- Salt and pepper – 50g grated cheese
- Fry mince until brown in olive oil
- Add the onion and garlic and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, stock cube and tinned tomatoes, mix well and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes and make your cauliflower topping whilst you do this.
To make cauliflower topping,
- Break the head of the cauliflower into florets and microwave or steam until tender.
- Drain off any water and pop the cauliflower into a food processor.
- Mix in the food processor until smooth, adding the butter, some salt and pepper and the cream / milk until it resembles potato mash.
Variations: you could use a stick blender OR you could mash by hand (hard work!). Then assemble everything once the mince has thickened. Place mince in a medium sized casserole dish and cover with the mash topping, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Cook in the oven 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees until browning. Serves 4-5. Serve with a garden salad OR steamed green beans.
This recipe was supplied by Katie King, The Balanced Nutritionist – our nutritionist in residence.