- 1 bunch of basil leaves (leaves only)
- 1/2 a bunch of dill
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Juice from half a lemon
- Add herbs, garlic cloves and pine nuts to a food processor and blend until fairly finely chopped. Then gradually add in the oil and lemon juice plus a little salt.
- Stop and taste test. Add more salt to adjust flavour.
- Store in an airtight jar with the lid on tightly. Keeps well, but you will use it fairly quickly!
Great stirred through vegetables (such as roast veg), as a topper on grilled chicken or steak, as a base for homemade pizzas, a dollop in soups, as a topper for crackers and much more.
- You could use other nuts besides pine nuts – e.g. cashews.
- You could experiment with other herbs. You may prefer plain basil on its own. You can also make coriander pesto. The options are endless!
- You could also add sun-dried tomatoes (blend with herbs from the first step) for a tomato and basil option.
This recipe was supplied by Katie King, The Balanced Nutritionist – our nutritionist in residence.